Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Don't Wish It Away..


So, it's the fourth of July again! An annual event, no doubt, that always indicates to me the fleeting days of summer are coming to an end even though they have just begun.

This annual event at our house is similar each year. My darling kiddo insists that we attend the town fireworks despite the fact that she is terrified of loud noises and even more afraid of explosions in the sky. In addition to my kiddos irrational fear of fireworks, my dear husband hates them. He just doesn't enjoy being crowded together with the rowdy crowds watching lights go off in the sky. Don't get me wrong, he loves America and the Fourth. He is as patriotic as the next guy, but the local fireworks is not, I repeat not, his favorite place to hang. So each year, we pack up our chairs, blankets, bug spray, and the like-head down to the stadium-take our place across the street-and I watch the events unfold. As the fireworks begin, my dh becomes even more disgruntled because of the rowdiness around and my darling kiddo covers her ears with her hands and buries her face in her knees-holding on until the end. All the while, she claims that she is enjoying herself. It is almost comical that she insists on putting herself through this each year. About this time, my dh makes his annual announcement that next year, we are definitely not coming!! Soon enough we are all rolling in chuckles as we watch the absurdity of the three of us-dh annoyed, darling kiddo riddled with anxiety, and momma just giggling to herself.

It was during this comical, annual event when it hit me. Don't wish this time away! I have spent so much time the last few months wishing this wait away. I want Jillian here so badly that I just want this time to hurry up and be over!! Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.... If I am lucky, I only have seven more fourth of July events with my darling kiddo under my roof.. ONLY SEVEN!!! How did this happen? How did she grow up so stinkin fast? Being her momma is a privilege and I truly have loved every single moment. I just wish there was some way to stop her growing and get Jillian here at the same time!! Then again..Don't wish it away. Lord, help me to patiently cherish each moment that I have and not wish it away! I am truly blessed in the waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment