Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Staring Sin in the Face


Seems like our weekends are never dull here. Last Saturday was no different. We woke early and headed to U of I with a stop at ISU along the way. Our purpose-to catch a day with two more of our sheep who have left us to join the college ranks. Spending so much time on college campuses has certainly left me with an urgent feeling of conviction that I don't spend near enough time on my knees praying for these students. In case you didn't know, sin is alive and well on these campuses. And to be honest I have to tell you as I live my life in this safe, predictable christian environment of mine, it is easy for me to forget just how ugly and evil it is out there. I also forget that this is exactly where I am preparing my daughter and all the students we are lucky enough to have in ministry to be. Walking on the U of I campus and even near the apartments at ISU, it was clearer to me than ever that most of the students living around these precious girls are not believers. In fact, they come face to face with evil and sin on a regular basis. Let's face it-I just don't get that. I don't have to deal with sin in my face every minute and my environment is much more conducive to growing my relationship with Christ. Man, they need our prayers. Our kids are in deeper than we can ever imagine! I need to open my eyes, recognize that, and pray like crazy that God will protect their hearts! Despite this sin and evil so many of our students are thriving and answering God's call to live a life of holiness-to be in this world but not of it. That is exactly my daily prayer for them-to live in this world and not be of it.

Despite coming face to face with this reality fun did abound!


We visited an Asian grocery store to pick up some unusual ingredients for a dish our Jill eats in the orphanage,


had lunch at a yummy Italian restaurant that's use of garlic was so liberal no one wanted to sit next to me,


bought frozen yogurt by the ounce in buckets as big as my head,


and took in the marching band competition where our PCHS dragons took 6th place! My band kids rule!! Hope your weekend is great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment