Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It Happened Today

There I was at the library. It's a seemingly safe place, or so I thought, until the over anxious four year old girl visiting the library with her preschool class sat down beside us. She chit chatted for a moment offering way too much personal information about herself. Looking at Jillian and then at me she asked..Did she grow in your tummy? I expected it to come from time to time. I know that a Chinese baby with an American momma is a rarity in my parts and so I knew it would come up...AND here it was. How do you answer that? I simply said no she did not grow in my tummy. Jillian has two momma's and she grew in her birth momma's tummy. I said that I had adopted her and asked her if she knew what that meant. She replied no and so in four year old language, I laid out the process. She then gave me her address, telephone number, and social security number (just kidding) before her preschool teacher started rounding up the children to return them to the center. Really though, I wasn't ready to answer this question. I wasn't sure what to say or how much to say. Luckily, my precious Chinese babe is oblivious at this point to my language and explanation. Although today's meeting..it has me thinking about the days ahead. What do I say when Jillian is there and can understand? How much do I offer and whose story is it to tell? I really don't know the answers to any of these questions and it seems I have time to figure them out because Jillian isn't much cracked up on conversation at this point. Still, maybe I should avoid the library for a while so I don't have to talk to anymore four year olds. :)

1 comment:

  1. This post made me smile. Yes, this question is one that can make you take a step back if it catches you off guard. You sound as if you did just fine.

    Since all four of our boys are adopted we chose to simply tell our boys THEIR story often. The boys have learned their special story that contains simple and basic birth mom/dad info like . . . they couldn't take care of you, so God gave you a new mommy and daddy that will love and take care of you always. My boys are so accustomed to hearing "THEIR" own story that they just smile when they hear someone ask. Generally children have the beautiful story of being carried in a mama's tummy and the long wait and then they were born and . . .

    Telling your child her very own story will become very special to her. She will soon be able to help you tell her story and know without a doubt that God chose her Mommy and Daddy for her and God chose her for her Mommy and Daddy. You can also tell her how you waited and waited to be able to hold her in your arms, hug and give her kisses.

    As far as talking to other children about Jillian and adoption . . . don't let it worry you. Simply tell them Jillian was a special gift from God. You are her Mama and little Jillian may not have grown in your tummy . . . but she certainly grew in your heart!

    Much love,

    ReplyDelete