Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

We Tried

We tried to eat lunch out today. We have a gift certificate for a local restaurant and so we decided to give it a try.

We had a plan..Arrive early, bring her comfort aides, sit in the back away from the commotion..

She did so much better in a new place than she would have done eight months ago, but she was really uncomfortable. She was able to stay about 20 minutes and eat a little bit of the food that I brought for her from home. She just kept looking up at the ceiling and shaking her little head no, but she made it about 2o minutes. The best part about it all was she never did have a meltdown. When she was too uncomfortable to stay, she simply got off her chair, took momma's hand, and led me down the hall to the door. She communicated calmly that she needed to get out of there. I did have to walk her back to the table to get her coat and she cried and started to panic a bit, but when she understood that momma knew what she needed and we were on our way out..she stopped crying. In fact by the time we reached home, she was "chatting" about the experience from her car seat as I drove. Daddy and I were trying to analyze just what could have made her uncomfortable. We will probably never know, but we have a large gift certificate for this restaurant so..we are going to keep practicing.

Really, she is just so amazing and watching her taking on the world is just a joy. Being able to take care of her and having her trust me is such a tremendous privilege. It is one that puts me right at the center of God's will for my life. Daily I feel God asking me..are you willing to lay down your life for hers? Daily...I say resoundingly YES!! What a special gift she is to us!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie,
    I am not sure if you will remember me. You taught my two boys about ten years ago. Their names are Tyler and Christian and they both have autism. I was so thrilled to find your blog and see what God is doing with your family. Wow! He is really pouring out His blessings! So excited for you all and just wanted to say that this adorable little girl couldn't have found a more amazing mom. I will be praying for continued blessings on your family.
    Bronwyn Clune

    ReplyDelete