Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The face of the fatherless


Looking directly into the face of the fatherless, the poor, how can it not just break your heart? I have spent this last week in Guatemala doing that nearly everyday. I have been broken beyond belief with the knowledge of God's love for these children. He has laid on my heart, as a believer, to be a part of caring for them-financially. One of the highlights of my trip was getting to meet this sweet boy who I sponsor through Compassion International Ministries. His mother is a widow and has five other boys to care for at home. She works hard each day doing laundry to try to provide for her family. This little man is five years old and is served through a compassion project in his neighborhood. I send him $38.00 a month and because of that he can attend school, receive nutritional meals, and is able to learn of the Savior's love for him. Again and again his mother thanked me for being her son's sponsor..for helping her to take care of her children as she is not able to do it on her own. I have to admit to you that $38.00 a month is not really a sacrifice for me and I almost feel guilty when I meet one of my sponsored kiddos and am received this way. For me (and for most of us), $38.00 a month is really no big deal. Giving up this money each month doesn't really keep us from getting or doing anything. To this little boy, my $38.00 a month means everything. It means he can eat, go to school, and learn of God's love for him. To him, my $38.00 a month is a BIG DEAL!!! Sometimes we feel like we can't do much for all the hurting and fatherless/poor in the world.. If each one of us just does what we can, together we can do much. Go to www.compassion.com to get information on sponsoring a child somewhere in the world who needs you. You can make a big difference for one child today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment