Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sisters

I am often contacted by families who have brought home a babe like my Jilly who are considering adopting again.  They have valid concerns about how adding another child to their family might affect their sweet one with such high emotional needs.  My treasure, Jillian, requires much.  Here emotional needs, and all that it takes to care for her, can be overwhelming, but I am always sure to tell those that ask that while adding a child to your family is never an easy ride under any circumstance giving Jilly her sisters has been such a rich blessing.  It has had challenges of course just like any other change we make to our lives, but her sisters love and care for her like no one else.  I often have explained to Anna Mei that Jilly's mind is not going to grow up like hers will, and that momma will always have to take special care of her as she gets bigger.  My Anna Mei, being the nurturer that she is, will be the first to tell me that she will take care of Jilly for me when I am not able to anymore.  I remember the first time she came to me with that thought.  At three years old, being newly home herself, she declared herself Jilly's future guardian.  Friends, this is the gospel in action.  
Bringing home our Molly Kate has been no different.  She loves her sisters, and our family.  I looked out the other night in the backyard while doing my dinner dishes to see Molly, barely three years old, pushing Jillian on the swing.  Jillian loves swinging.  It comforts her and makes her so happy.  It was darling to see Molly trying to care for Jilly in that way. 
What a rich and incredible blessing it is to have these sweet babe's in our family.  They have altered our hearts and changed our thinking in ways I never would have dreamed as we planned out our lives.  It was never my plan to have a baby I would have to care for into adulthood, but what a beautiful and perfect plan the Lord had for me as my daughter, Jillian, has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.  My arms will never know an empty nest, and, frankly, I couldn't be happier about that.  I picture myself rocking this girl, and holding her like a newborn cuddled against my chest well into my eighties.  What a precious gift God has given me in that, and what a beautiful gift He has given each of us in this family to love one as special as our Jilly.

1 comment: