Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Jillian's First Day of School

Everything about this adoption journey has been simply incredible and today was no different.  I never dreamed fifteen months ago, when I was handed a frail, fifteen pound 26 month old so locked into herself, that she would ever be at the place she is now.  I can't even begin to explain the miracle of the person that she is becoming in light of where she started just over a year ago.  MIRACLE!


Here she is ready for her first day of school.  At thirty-two pounds, she is filling out this little jean dress and looking a lot more like a three year old than the near twelve month old size she was just 15 months ago.  She had one bus aide say that she was just beautiful when she passed by her.  (I know that of course, but said thank you.)  She is so happy and so full of life!  She is so different from the child that was placed in my arms in that government office that I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around it.
Look at this smile.  She let out a squeal when we pulled into the school parking lot.  We visited several times last year and I am sure that she knew where we were.  She walked right into Mrs. F's classroom just like last year when I visited with her and sat in the same chair that she did last year when I fed her breakfast there.   There were some signs that she was battling anxiety and fear, but she was able to survive quite nicely while I stayed with her.  During the speech lesson, I left her in the room-on the rug with the other six children-and waited in the parent's room.  I was told that she even interacted a bit when they sang The Wheels on the Bus during the lesson.  After about an hour away from me, Jillian walked into the room where I waited holding Mrs. F's hand.  She is such a big girl.  She is so brave and so strong in spirit!  I am so grateful to God for making her mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment