Deuteronomy 4:35

You have been shown these things that you might know the Lord is God besides him there is no other.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Blessed-A Choice to Make

Yesterday I was given the privilege of being a part of bringing the light of Jesus to a needy family that has come in contact with our congregation through our food pantry and free Saturday meal ministry. Through these ministries the faithful volunteers from our congregation welcome the poor in the name of Jesus to be fed and send them off with food for their families.

Last week at the meal, a dear friend of my mine was confronted with a very real need facing one of the families she serves through these ministries. This family needed beds for their little ones. Their five year old and 18 month old had been sleeping on a couch. They-had-no-beds. They had never had beds. No-beds. My friend's heart was troubled when she discovered this and she couldn't sit by and do nothing. She started by asking for prayer in our women's Sunday School Class. Soon because of her efforts, our entire congregation was rallied around this cause and more than enough money was brought in to provide beds for these little ones. We were also able to get gifts, blankets, and pillows.

I was lucky enough to deliver these things yesterday to this family's modest home... Blessed.
Blessed by the experience.
Blessed by the chance that Jesus gives me to help others though in a small way.
Blessed to see the five year old boy shouting with joy-NOW WE HAVE BEDS!
Blessed to have the opportunity to have beds for my family and one waiting for little Jill already.
Blessed!

Immediately after delivering to this precious family, I went to the grocery store to buy more supplies for another gathering I have to cook for this week. The store was packed. The line was down the aisle, but I couldn't forget-Blessed! I had a choice to make in that moment. We have a choice to make in every momment. Choose to remember that I am blessed. Choose to remember that I am blessed to be able to walk into the store anytime I want and buy whatever I need anytime that I need it or choose to dwell on the time spent waiting. Choose to use the time to take in the blessing or choose to waste the time counting all the minutes ticking away. Blessed. So many of us are blessed this holiday season.

Today I am choosing to bask in the blessings I have and not dwell in the world that is so full of negatives. Hope you are feeling the blessings of a life in Jesus Christ this Christmas Eve. No blessing compares to the blessing of knowing my Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment